Marijuana is taken from hemp plant and cannabis sativa. It is one of the most abused drugs in US. Marijuana is the dry and shredded green or brown mix of flowers, leaves and stems of the plant cannabis sativa.
Many people think about marijuana is harmless substance and they feel it is better substitute to other forms of smoking. However, it actually worsens the health of the abused. Human brain and mental health are adversely effected by the THC chemical present in marijuana.
The short term effects of marijuana mental health:
- It damages the memory
- Impacts ability to learn.
- Difficulties in problem solving, thinking and performing.
- Disorder in anxiety or feelings of paranoia.
- Person can not judge properly.
There are some long term effects of marijuana on mental health.
- Depression can be increased, and long term use of marijuana result in suicidal thoughts.
- It can increases the uncontrollable aggressiveness.
- Nerve cells are disrupted by it, these cells are part of the brain where memories are formed.
- Schizophrenia which is a chronic, severe and disabling brain disorder, can be caused by long term use of marijuana.
Facts about marijuana and mental health as per recent studies:
- Marijuana abuse between the age of 15 to 18, has high chances of leading to schizophrenia.
- According to study of the National Household Survey on Drug Abuse, teenager’s use of marijuana may lead to thoughts of committing suicide, especially between the age of 12 to 17.
- The risk of psychotic disorders in adulthood is led by adult abuse of marijuana.