A tooth replacement treatment is necessary for older people who face problems due to loss of one or more teeth. Tooth loss due to accidents and decay also requires the best replacement procedure. Dentures and dental implants are the most common ways to avoid problems of tooth loss. Here are some comparison views of using dental implants and partial dentures.
- Partial dentures are those which are used to replace a few missing teeth. They are fixed on either side of the missing teeth and are removable. On the other hand, dental implants are permanent and fixed. They are artificial teeth which are anchored to the jaw bone.
- Partial dentures should be cleaned regularly by taking them out of your mouth. Care and maintenance of dental implants is easy as they can be cleaned like natural teeth.
- Partial dentures need healthy adjacent teeth for proper support. So they may not be used for older people who already have lost or weakened teeth. Where as dental implants do not need any support from the near by teeth.
- Partial dentures have to be realigned after certain period of time say for about five to eight years. However, dental implants are permanent and you need not to worry about them.
- Dentures are much inexpensive when compared to dental implants. So many people prefer partial dentures to implants. However, one can use mini dental implants which are affordable and are less expensive than traditional dental implants.
- The base of partial dentures are made of materials such as acrylic, cast metal, and flexible plastic. The teeth part of the dentures are made of porcelain. Dental implants are made of Titanium and are much stronger than dentures.
- The procedure for fixing partial dentures takes less time than that for dental implants.
- In turn, dental implants provide you more comfort than the partial dentures.
Both dental implants and partial dentures have their own benefits. Hence they are used based on the dental conditions of the patient.