Gum disease is a common occurrence among many people. Unless treated timely, gum disease leads to loss of teeth. To prevent gum disease, regular check ups are essential. Having checkups not only detects oral problems in early stage, but also makes you understand how to maintain your oral health.
An important point is diet intake, which should include sufficient amount of vitamins and minerals. It is important for you to take a healthy diet in order to avoid serious gum problems later. Following are some vitamins and minerals that help in fighting gum diseases.
- Vitamin C: As vitamin C helps in producing collagen in gums, its deficiency can cause swelling and redness in gums. Deficiency of this vitamin can also lead to poor functioning of the immune system, which can decrease the ability to fight bacterial plaque. This can cause serious gum problems. In order to avoid this, it is important to include adequate amount of vitamin C in your diet. Vitamin C is mainly found in citrus fruits.
- Antioxidants: According to recent studies, people suffering from serious gum problems have been found to consume low level of antioxidants. Antioxidants help people to prevent gum problems. In short, they help in protecting gum tissues from getting damaged, which may further contribute to advanced stage of gum disease, known as periodontal disease. Nuts, grains, berries, fruits and vegetables are sources antioxidants.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E boosts immune system and helps fight bacterial plaque – the main cause of gum disease. Once the bacterial plaque starts to form on surface of teeth, it can lead to roots and gums separation. Nuts, dried apricots, green olives are rich sources of vitamin E.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D has anti-inflammatory effects and can reduce the chances of infections in gums. People who consume enough vitamin D have less bleeding during early stage of gum disease called gingivitis. One of the most important sources of vitamin D is sunlight.
- Folic acid: Studies show that folic acid helps in reducing bacterial plaque and swelling during advanced stage of gum disease. However, instead of taking folic acid supplements, it is better to use a mouth wash that can be more effective.
- Calcium: One of the main factors responsible for gum disease is the deficiency of calcium. Calcium plays an important role in maintaining healthy teeth and gums. Calcium is mainly found in diary products.
- Fluoride: Fluoride helps in protecting against dental decay. Dental decay can even lead to tooth loss. Make use of a toothpaste that contains fluoride.
- Zinc: It is better to use a mouth wash that contains zinc, which is useful for treating advanced gum disease. Zinc is essential for a healthy immune system and for healing of wounds.