Ginger is the most commonly used spice. It is used as a traditional medicine in many regions. It is mainly produced in Jamaica, India and China. It is the root part of the plant, and is used commonly in daily diet. Though it is famous for its application in cooking, ginger is found to have many medicinal properties. Let us discuss some of its medicinal properties:
- Ginger is regarded as carminative, as it is found cure many digestive problems like colic, constipation, flatulence, diarrhea, etc .
- It is used to treat vomiting and nausea, caused due to sickness, cancer, pregnancy, etc.
- Due to its anti inflammatory nature, it is used in curing arthritis and multiple sclerosis.
- It is found to help in decreasing cholesterol levels in the arteries, thus reducing the risks of heart diseases.
- It is used in the treatment of cancer.
- Antioxidant properties of ginger are essential in treating diseases associated with liver.
- Anti bacterial nature of ginger is useful in curing ulcer and gastritis.
- The most common application of ginger is seen in treatment of many respiratory problems like, flu, cold, sinusitis, sore throat.
- It is found to boost immune system and hence increase the resistance power towards diseases.
- Ginger is considered as a good pain reliever and is used in treatment of many dental problems such as, tooth ache. It is also used as a mouth freshener to cure bad breath, due to its flavor.
Apart from the above medicinal benefits, ginger is also found to prevent depression, alcoholism and viral fever.