Restoration of missing teeth is one of the most common things of dentistry. Dental implants and dental bridges are the two ways of restoring teeth. The dental implants are nothing but small metal screws which are placed in the jaw bone. The prosthetic teeth are later attached to them. Dental bridges are the artificial teeth which are attached to the adjacent teeth with the help of crowns. Dental implants are found to be advantageous over dental bridges in many ways.
Dental implants save tooth, bone, and gums. Dental bridges need support from the adjacent teeth. So the teeth nearby are adjusted accordingly to allow them to fix the dental bridge. However, dental implants do not need any preparation for tooth, bone or gums and hence prevents their loss.
- Dental implants are more flexible than bridges. Unlike the case of bridges, it is not essential for the dental implants to have existing teeth on the sides of missing teeth.
- Even large spaces and gaps of teeth can be filled by dental implants. Where as fixed dental bridges are not suitable for such purposes.
- The dental implants provide protection to the adjacent teeth.
- Dental implants can make you eat and speak with confidence. Any clicking sounds and wobbles associated with dentures are not observed with dental implants. There is also no need to worry about slipping of the implants.
- Cleaning and maintenance of dental implants is much easy. They can be flossed and cleaned as the natural teeth. However, special flossing is required for cleaning the dental bridges.
Dental implants resemble the natural teeth and enhance your look, self-confidence, and self-esteem.